Thursday, January 13, 2011

Not as Bad as I Thought

When our visit had just started, it seemed to me that Nora hadn't really changed at all... I think I may have offended her. I told her about my lack of occupation currently, and that I was looking for a steadier job. She was very gracious and said that she and Torvald would do absolutely anything to help! I told her, "It's sweet of you to bother so much about me, Nora. Especially since you know so little of the worries and hardships of life." She got extremely defensive and began telling me about this ridiculous trouble she'd gone to in order to save her husband's life. She borrowed over two hundred pounds from a man who she says is not on the grid. She has been paying it off little by little doing odd jobs for people. She's finally done something responsible! She also seems so HAPPY in her life she's made with Torvald. They've got wonderful children and a beautiful home! She tells me her life has turned out perfectly, she truly, truly loves Torvald. I know I could've had that, if I was still young and outgoing I'm sure I could find love again.



Nora, the dear, also confessed to me that she thinks it's good to have a rainy day fund, of sorts, in case Torvald falls out of love with her once her looks have fled.

Nora: "Yes- some day, perhaps, after many years, when I am no longer as pretty as I am now. Don't laugh at me! I mean, of course, when Torvald is no longer as devoted to me as he is now; when my dancing and dressing-up and reciting have palled on him then it may be a good thing to have something in reserve."

No comments:

Post a Comment